Joost Klein says he is “standing tall” after Eurovision disqualification

Joost Klein has said that he is “standing tall” following his disqualification from the 2024 Eurovision song contest.

Klein – who was set to represent the Netherlands with his song ‘Europapa’ – was disqualified from the contest in Malmö, Sweden just hours before Saturday’s finale (May 11). At the time, police stated that the decision was made after he was accused of making verbal threats towards a female member of the production crew.

The incident marked the first time that an act had been disqualified after reaching the Grand Final in the competition’s 68-year history and, before his disqualification, the 26-year-old singer was named as one of the favourites to win.

Jimmy Modin, a spokesperson for the police, spoke to The Guardian about the incident and revealed that it was looking likely that Klein will face legal action.

Advertisement

Now, a week after his disqualification, the singer performed at Freshtival in Enschede, telling the crowd “My name is Klein (short) but I’m standing tall,” referring to the Eurovision incident (per Dutchnews).

Modin confirmed that the investigation was over, and a decision about whether or not to press charges should arrive “within the next couple of weeks”.

Recommended

After news of his disqualification, Dutch broadcaster Avrotros said it was “shocked” by the decision, and stated that while Klein made a “threatening move” towards a female camera operator, he had not touched her (via The Guardian).

“Against the clearly made agreement, Joost was filmed when he had just gotten off stage and had to rush to the green room. At that moment, Joost repeatedly indicated that he did not want to be filmed. This wasn’t respected,” Avrotros added.

Klein has not since commented publicly on the incident.

News that he had been withdrawn from the song contest came via an update by the EBU. The full statement read: “The Dutch artist Joost Klein will not be competing in the Grand Final of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

Advertisement

“Swedish police have investigated a complaint made by a female member of the production crew after an incident following his performance in Thursday night’s Semi Final. While the legal process takes its course, it would not be appropriate for him to continue in the Contest.

Joost Klein
Joost Klein. Credit: Jessica Gow/Getty

“We would like to make it clear that, contrary to some media reports and social media speculation, this incident did not involve any other performer or delegation member.

“We maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards inappropriate behaviour at our event and are committed to providing a safe and secure working environment for all staff at the Contest. In light of this, Joost Klein’s behaviour towards a team member is deemed in breach of Contest rules.”

This year’s competition, which was ultimately won by Switzerland’s Nemo, was dogged by controversy for allowing Israel to compete amid the ongoing conflict with Hamas in Gaza.

In other news, the BBC has responded to complaints about this year’s Eurovision coverage saying “some aspects of the broadcast…didn’t appeal to everyone.”

Rock

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

A Rich, Dynamic, and Electrifying New Face of Rock – Mark Farias Ignites the Rock Scene with “Octane Junkies”
Video: LL Cool J Ft. Rick Ross, Fat Joe “Saturday Night Special”
Royal Blood on revisiting their debut album 10 years on: “So much has changed, but when it comes to the music, nothing has”
Common, Pete Rock “Dreamin”
System of a Down’s Shavo Odadjian Unveils New Band Seven Hours After Violet, Single “Paradise”: Stream

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *